Sunday, September 11, 2011

Big K.R.I.T. - The Vent...song of 2011


one of the finest, brightest, most inspiring lights in hiphop in recent years.  i know no one looks at this blog.  it's no beef fam.  but if anyone happens to trip and stumble their feet here they at least need to see this...call it chaos theory inspiration, feeling the breeze from the wing flutter.

big k.r.i.t. (king remembered in time) and some of his tremendously talented contemporaries have compelled me to reevaluate my preconceived notions of southern hiphop, poisoned by the years since that bitch with a bandaid - nelly.  his free mixtape Return of 4Eva is, quite simply, a masterwork of unprecedented quality.  the only free release i can compare it to of late is by another head who's hard at work in the UK: wretch32.  very different styles but equally inspiring and thoughtful.

don't get me wrong, the south has produced a bevvy of non-artificial soldiers.  goodie mob, outkast, killer mike, ugk, scarface, etc...i'm not hating, but the lcd radio has been playing that BULLSHIT for years.  when a single hits it's throwing that garbage most of the time.

it's a crime that his video hasn't hit 1 million hits yet but it's gotdamn close.

some youtube digging will dredge up his live performance as well:


look at the fucking intensity in his eyes.  he's ready to blow the whole world up with his talent and integrity.

i'll be watching, and spinning his sounds up til then.

EDIT: here's lyrics for the deaf and the rest.  why not?

a mother lost a child
i tried to ease her pain
it's only god's will
she said she felt the same
it's funny how the sun will up and battle rain
as if the clouds couldn't stand to see me outside the game
wrote a rhyme that was kind with some vision to it
bottom line: it might expand your mind if you listen to it
too much shine can dull the soul
if you feel how i feel then i'll rap some more

how can the devil take my brother if he's close to me
when he was everything i wasn't but i hoped to be
i get a little honest and i ask myself
if the time come, will you save me if i ask for help?
sent my mind on a journey to the outermost
to document what it had seen and cc me the notes
and ask kurt cobain why cuz i need to know
he stopped when he had such a long way to go

i saw love in the eyes of a perfect stranger
she overlooked my caring heart in search of gangster
will we ever be together? only time will tell
she call my phone and talk to me as her iris swell
i put my problems in a box beside my tightest rhymes
under lock and key, buried deep off in my mind
and when it gets too full and i can't close the lid
i spaz on my family and my closest friends

trade my materials for a piece of mind
i'm so close to heaven, hell i just need some time
who cares about life and the highs and lows
maybe i should write another song about pimps and hos
cars and clothes
idol gods
golden calves
louis scarves
i do this for the love and it's free of charge
i don't need jail to be behind bars

this is purely art
in my grandma's household this was surely taught
don't be naive
yeah these times is hard
in the midst of this glamor hope you find god
i never wished to be the burden-bearer
but souls need saving and it's now or never
shock value's all they want to see
it's us against them and it's just you and me

try and to take heed what i say in my songs
forgive me if i ever, ever steered you wrong
most people stop for signs but i've driven through it
if it don't touch my soul, then i can't listen to it

the radio don't play the shit i used to love
or maybe i'm just growing up
i never seen a star on a red rug
if i want to see stars i just look above
to the heavens

*
i know you been down so long
so i'll be stronger for you

i know you been down so long
cuz i been down too

yes i understand
what you're going through

yes i understand
cuz i'm going through it too

i pray that you find your way
and all things old become new

i pray that you find your way
for my sake cuz i'm lost too

yes i understand
what you're going through

yes i understand
cuz i'm going through it too

i lost my friend this morning
woke up screaming her name

she meant so much to me
i'm scared i won't be the same

hope you understand
what i'm going through

hope you understand
when i call out for you

to
vent

No comments: